Author Topic: E-Flites NEW UMX Carbon Cub Tow Plane  (Read 5129 times)

TonyN

• View Profile
E-Flites NEW UMX Carbon Cub Tow Plane
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:17:40 PM »
Finally got a chance to fly my E-Flite Carbon Cub today after a day of wind and rain yesterday. First and consecutive flights were all hand launch due to the grass field we fly at (SKSS). First flight was short in order to not stress the stock battery too much since it was its first charge and all went well, very smooth as she flew straight out of my hand.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/umx-carbon-cub-ss-bnf-with-as3x-technology-EFLU1180

After a few circuits to verify trim (none needed) I slowed down and dropped the flaps and she slowed down even more but was fully controllable during the flight right down to its first semi landing. Due to the grass field I tried to bring her in as slow as possible (a walking pace) till she was a few inches from touching down and I cut the throttle completely hoping she would plop down like the HZ Champ but she still had enough inertia to flip her over on landing (no damage done).

Two more flights proved she is a capable flyer and should be an excellent tow plane for the soon to be released ASK-21.

Later Walt showed up with his and I was able to get a pic with my phone of his in flight

Tony
I love the smell of Balsa in the morning!

pteromorph

• View Profile
    • SKSS
Re: E-Flites NEW UMX Carbon Cub Tow Plane
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
Tony,

Great report!  Got mine all set up as well.  If you are up for it, maybe some formation flying with Walt and I?
Did you use the 40% elevator compensation when deploying flaps as indicated in the manual (yes, I read those...)?
That little brushless motor has some ooomph.  Almost blew my toupet  ;)

Cannot wait for the ASK21 to show up.  Should be fun aerotowing.  Must convince Charlie we need some smooth runway, though!
"What is that thing over there?"
"It is not a thing.  It is an airplane. My airplane."[...]
"What, you fell out of the sky?"
"Yes", I said modestly.
"Oh, that's funny..."

Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince