Author Topic: AXN Floater  (Read 9263 times)

billgroft

• View Profile
AXN Floater
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:27:57 PM »
Hi Guys,
I just finished a new airplane that I am flying in FL.  The weather is warm but it is usually windy so I wanted a plane that is easy to transport and will handle the winds.  I watched a video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF8J6ZMDlUs from Bruce Simpson from www.rcmodelreviews.com .  In the video Bruce had high praise for the AXN Foater, he said that it flies in high winds and will even thermal in light lift.  Well, that sounded like the plane for me.  I ordered one from hobbykings USA warehouse http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18916 for $48.  It is comes with the motor installed.  All you need to supply is 4, 9 gram servos, speed control and receiver,  the kit even includes the glue.  You can purchase a more complete kit with the servos and speed control for $62 but they were out of stock.  The plane arrived and I finished it in about 3 hours.  Last Tuesday I made the maiden flight in Punta Gorda.  The first trim flight was with a 2100 mah 3 cell lipo and it flew great.  The only thing I had to do was to increase the aileron throws because it would not roll fast enough ::)  I flew it around for about 15 minutes and even did some thermaling with some unidentified birds.  Did I say it will climb vertically ;D?  The next flight was with a 1300 mah battery and a little nose weight.  It does fly better with the lighter battery.  I passed the transmitter around to the other flyers and the loved it.  After one landing I thought I would see if it would slide along the ground under power.  I advanced the throttle and it easily slipped along the grass.  Just for fun I turned away from me and gave it full throttle and after about 25 feet it was airborne.  What fun. 

I am going flying tomorrow morning and I will try to take some pictures.
Bill

luckybreaker

• View Profile
Re: AXN Floater
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
It's not a bad plane and dirt cheap except it tends to nose downward when giving it power (motor pod on top). I trimmed my motor mount to thrust upward a bit. Also, make sure the battery is secured because you can roll the plane and the battery can fall out .  Ray